Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Peanut Butter Challenge

I am SO not a picky eater. I will eat any fruit, vegetable, meat or grain any time, any where. I have always been a "good eater" (my mom still shows off to her friends about what a good eater her daughter is), with one small flaw. I HATE peanut butter. It is seriously the only food in the world that I can't stomach. I used to hate mushrooms, tomatoes and sushi. I have learned to like all of them, as well as seafood (which I now LOVE!), and many other things. The thing is, I think most of our food preferences are learned. I wanted to learn to like tomatoes when I was a teenager, so every time my parents would serve them, I would try them. And sure enough, one day I liked tomatoes. So guess what? It's time to get over my PB phobia.

Just so you know how deep this hatred between me and peanut butter runs...

I have never liked peanut butter. Even as a little girl, I would have jam sandwiches. Don't even TRY to put the jam on with the knife you used in the peanut butter. I could taste it, so I wouldn't eat it. When I was about 12 or 13, on a long road trip, my brother Dale tricked me into eating a peanut butter jelly belly. I broke into tears and was so completely grossed out. I still haven't forgiven him.

But I'm a grown up now, and I'm tired of being a finicky eater as far as Peanut Butter is concerned. A few years back I learned that I liked Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, Butterfingers and Nutter Butters. I like Peanut Butter cookies, and no-bake cookies. It's time to like Peanut Butter in it's pure, unadulterated form.

So here's the challenge. I will eat one serving of peanut butter every day this month. That's two tablespoons a day for 31 days. I am dreading it. I don't want to do it. But I will conquer this weakness! I WILL LEARN TO LOVE PEANUT BUTTER.

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Get the chunkiest kind you can and just imagine you're eating peanuts.


Good luck!

Gillian said...

That is so odd! I thought everyone liked peanut butter! If you like peanut butter cookies you must like the flavor...is it the texture or the smell or what that you don't like?

Good luck with your challenge! :)

Les said...

It's definitely the texture. I had ants on a log this afternoon with the kids, and it wasn't too bad. I put lots of raisins on mine...I can't believe how easy it was.

Kathy Habel said...

Before we know it you'll be eating Nutella with Sandy. Or am I getting friends mixed up.
I still struggle with a lot of raw vegetables but I eat a lot more than I used to.

LMS said...

Hmmm, I prefer chocolate with my peanut butter and the chunkier the better.

Mahaffey Family said...

Good luck with your challenge! Duncan hates P.B too, I keep hoping one day he will have something other that a jelly sandwhich!

Carolyn said...

Jessie, I do the same thing as you! I think I may do that right now, in fact.

It's a sin to have crunchy peanut butter in my house, at least that's what Dave tells me. I guess he likes the texture that grosses you out!

AB said...

Peanut Butter is my favorite food. Sounds like you have a good approach. I hope it works!