Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Tribute to Grandpa Don

A good man left this life yesterday, September 30th. Don Harper married Dixon's mom 7 or 8 years ago and has left a legacy of love with our family. He jumped right into his role as Grandpa of three rowdy little boys, eventually growing to six crazy kids, with little prior experience. He spent hours looking at ants with Landon. He searched for lizards with Porter. He explained stuff to Hayden that nobody else cared about--or understood for that matter. He played with and read to the little kids. He was so generous to my kids and always treated them as if they were his own flesh and blood. He showed unconditional love to a family that barged into his home and raised the decibel level to previously unimaginable levels. He showed patience beyond what any human should be able to display. We love you and will miss you, Grandpa!






9 comments:

Carolyn said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Give my love to Grandma HoHo, and I'll keep her in my prayers.

Kathy Habel said...

So sorry. He's in a better place and not suffering now.

Mahaffey Family said...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. He sounds like a wonderful grandpa!

P Kirkwood said...

I am so sorry for your family's loss. Riley and Anna said to send a big hug to make Reagan and Landon (and I'm sure the rest of you) fee a lot better. If there is anything that I can do...
-P-

LMS said...

Grandma Fred used to tell me it is better to have loved and lost then to never have loved at all. I didn't understand what she meant and kinda resented the comment. Now I realize how profound it was. How lucky for you to have had the opportunity to love and be loved by this wonderful man. Even though the loss is so painful how blessed you are for the memories and example. Love to you all.

AB said...

How lucky that your kids got to know him. I think that great-grandparents are the most fun for kids to play with. My best memories as a kid involved mine.

The Woolf Pack said...

I'm sorry, it is always hard losing grandparents. It sounds like your kids have amazing memories of him.

Naughty Newbee's said...

Leslie and Dixon, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I will keep you and your family in our prayers.

Michelle said...

Les,

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandpa Don, he sounded like a great man. We will definately be thinking of you-