Wednesday, July 23, 2008

To Homeschool or not to Homeschool...

I am really struggling with a major dilemma. I don't know what to do. Porter has such a hard time in school--socially--and really comes home emotionally beat up every day. I homeschooled him in fourth grade and it really seemed to help a lot. You know, just kind of gave him a year off of the bullying so that he could kind of take a breather. He went back in fifth grade and seemed to do well at first, but then I think the pressure of it was too much for him and towards the end of the year, he just started to crack. So now here he is, begging me to do it again.

PROS:
Fewer negative influences (with me as the possible exception!)
I really enjoy being with him and teaching him
More time with his younger siblings
A built in babysitter so I can run errands at nap times (this would just be a side benefit, not something that I would consider a reason to keep him home!)
Wouldn't have to buy school clothes

CONS:
He may have too much spare time
He may refuse to do work
I don't have enough time for life now...how can I find time to educate him?
Is it really good for him socially to pull him out of school? What message is that sending him?

At the moment, I'm really leaning towards doing it. I already have most of the materials since I homeschooled two years ago when Hayden was in sixth grade. We have a great library system here, so I can get a lot more of the books that I would want for him.

So that's where I'm at. I'll let you know what I'm doing as soon as I know!!

4 comments:

The Woolf Pack said...

As a mom, you always seem to know what is best for him. If he is happier why not? Besides, there are a ton of people in Olympia who homeschool, so there is lots of support. Plus, there are other (sometimes better) ways of being able to socialize. Hope you are doing well, I will have an updated entry soon!

Gillian said...

I've often thought that there's no way I could homeschool(lack of motivation on my part...my kids wouldn't learn anything with me as the teacher!) BUT if my child was being bullied I'd pull them out of public school in two seconds. Stuff like that damages kids for life. It's a tough decision but I'm sure you'll make the right one.

Carolyn said...

I think for Porter, he would really thrive at home. I remember his attitude completely changing that year he was homeschooled. It is totally worth it if he has a huge turnaround. It's going to be hard, but he's going to be so much better for it (and so will you!).

Unknown said...

Oh Les! That is a tough one. Be prayerful and trust your instincts as Porter's mom. You will do the right thing for him - I know it!