I have a confession to make. I'm a talent bury-er. When we were in Arizona, very few people knew that I played the piano until right before we left. Because of this, I was spared the anxiety of preparing to play the piano at church functions. Well, now I'm in the same ward that I grew up in. You know, during the years that I was still taking piano lessons AND wasn't ashamed to let people know about it. So my first Sunday here, I get asked to be the pianist in Relief Society. I was a bit rusty (that's the understatement of the year!), but knew I couldn't get out of it gracefully, so of course I do it. And honestly...not only am I getting better and better because I am forced to practice occasionally, but I'm actually beginning to enjoy it again! AND Hayden has been spending more time on the piano (probably because of my spectacular example) and has actually figured out how to play "Called To Serve." On his own. He's never had any piano lessons. He's getting studlier and studlier. (In my book, things like playing musical instruments and participating in dance festivals make boys studly. If they don't in your book, maybe you should switch to my book. It makes for a really good read!)
2 comments:
Relief Society pianist - that's my dream calling! You better watch out, you'll be playing like Stacey Johnson in no time.
Growing up it seemed like everyone and their dog took piano lessons. Now as an adult, there are only a handful of people in the ward who play. Of course, maybe there's only a handful who ADMIT to playing...
Post a Comment