Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Drive Free Week--Days 2 and 3

Well, it's been going pretty well without the car. On Tuesday we just hung out at home. I really wanted to try taking the kids to the free movie, but the logistics of it were just too complicated, so we stayed at home. Cooper wasn't feeling all that hot anyway, so I probably would have been out with him the whole time. I had several books and movies at the library to pick up, so Hayden and Porter rode their bikes to the library (4.5 miles each way) and did that for me. Hayden's been riding so much lately that it wasn't a big deal for him. Porter, on the other hand, has been pretty sore ever since then. We had lots of people over for most of the day (Dave, Carolyn and family were over while Dave and Dix worked on the Suburban, plus I babysat two kids for the evening, plus Marilyn in the morning), so I wasn't going anywhere anyway. Oh yes, and Hayden went to help a family move. He got a ride over, but took his bike so that he could come home when he was ready to leave. He ended up staying until the job was finished, and stuck his bike back in the EQ President's truck and got a ride back home.

All right, so I might have cheated on the no-car thing for just a little bit. We found out that a friend was having a sleepover birthday party with loads of teenage girls attending, so we couldn't resist the opportunity. We had to go over and pull a little prank. Unfortunately, we didn't have the stealth factor on our side, so an hour later we got TP'd. It was a fun little outing and probably wouldn't have worked as well if we had ridden our bikes or the bus (at midnight!). But worth the cheat.

So today...Hayden had swim team so rode over (5.3 miles each way) and back. Dave and Carolyn and the girls joined us and then we went to the County Fair. We walked to a church nearby and then took the free shuttle to the fair. It was really fun for the little kids. We watched some horse events and looked at all the animals. We didn't do any rides because...well, they're just too darn expensive. Porter had stayed at home--I'm so glad--and Hayden kept asking when we were going to leave. We stayed for several hours, rode the bus home. Dave, Kurt and Dix finished fixing the Suburban so now if I decide to cheat again, I can use my own car instead of Dixon's. But I have no intention of cheating again. Tomorrow I need to go to violin lessons, the post office and City Hall. We'll see if I make it. I should be able to do it all on bike, but I hate riding on busy streets with a bike trailer. Maybe I'll just send Hayden to do all my errands. I love having a teenager!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Pranks are immune from drive free week, FYI. It's in the official "Drive Free Week" brochure. I'm surprised you didn't know that.