Monday, June 30, 2008

I'm a wimp

Hayden and I have talked about doing a triathlon for a long time now. I told him that when school got out we'd start working out. He keeps nagging and nagging and finally today I ran out of excuses. I mapped a three mile course through our neighborhood and we set off. I knew it was a mistake when we were two houses down. Hayden runs like a gazelle. I'm more like...well, a three legged mule. I really struggled and I walked an awful lot. And Hayden was very patient with me. He kept telling me, "Come on mom, you can do it." And I was saying to myself, "Remember those days when you could run and not be weary? Remember the record setting weight lifting you used to do? Remember when you were in prime condition? You can do this!" And then I'd start thinking about sitting on the couch eating mint chocolate chip ice cream. And then I'd try to distract myself by looking at Hayden's muscular little body leading the way. And then I'd think more about the ice cream.

Well, we walked a lot, but we made it. It probably took about 40 minutes. But we did it. We got back about three hours ago and I think I'm still sweating! So maybe in a couple of weeks I'll actually be able to run the whole thing. I'm still researching which tri we'll start with. Problem is that a few of the little kids want to do one too, so I'm trying to find one that has a kid's tri, and an adult half-marathon or Olympic distance, and have it be on a Saturday. The other problem is that registration is like $150. Yuck. Guess Hayden will have to pay for it! :)

Okay, Turner just threw up in my bed and peed in my bed. Guess I had better go...to bed?

No comments: