Sunday, June 29, 2008

Cub Scout Day Camp!!

Landon had a lot of fun at Cub Scout Day camp this week. I have to say, my big boys were gypped big time. Arizona did a lot of things well, but Cub Scout Day camp was not one of them. It was 4 hours of fun and frolic...at the Stake Center. La-ame. But here it is three full days (8 hours or so each) at Camp Akela, in the woods. They did crafts, singing, races, and got good and dirty. Just the way I like them. Last night they had the family night, so we took the three little kids and met Landon there. (Hayden had dance practice for the dance festival and Porter didn't feel great) They started the evening with the egg catching contest. They dropped the eggs from a crane about 80 feet in the air.


Landon approached the egg catching area cautiously...complete with goggles and a garbage bag protecting his already dirty clothes. His egg catcher was made out of PVC pipe with some pantyhose as the net. Good theory.



And the egg might have made it, if it hadn't hit the PVC frame. Oooh, what a mess.



Landon's buddy Keagan had a more successful trial. His basket full of crunched up bags, and a pillow, and bubble wrap seemed to do the trick. So he got a golden egg neckerchief slide. Landon got a broken egg neckerchief slide.


Right after the egg drop and a picnic dinner, the boys headed out to the "Great Race." They raced like sled dogs pulling a box full of Landon. Well, Landon's tribe did anyway. The other tribes pulled their lightest member.



Landon's tribe made good time and was in the lead, but crashed into another team which sent Landon's poor mother into a nervous fit wondering if her dear son would ever be able to walk again. But he was fine. The team made it back but they didn't win. Here's a video of the race.



It was a good time and Landon hated to see it end. He is looking forward to two more fun filled trips to Camp Akela before he graduates from Cub Scouts!

2 comments:

Gillian said...

Awesome! Sounds like they had a great time. Ethan had camp this week, too. Up here it's Mon-Fri from about 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. I didn't realize it was so different everywhere, but I've never been in Scouting before. (And I secretly hope never to have that calling either! Of course saying that just sealed my fate that I will, right?)

The Woolf Pack said...

Fun! We will be enjoying Scouts soon enough, so I am sure I will be emailing you with lots of questions. :)