Saturday, November 26, 2011

Swim Banquet

The end of the swim season came, which meant the swim banquet. This was the first time I've ever had two kids on one team. I loved it. I loved the whole season. I loved that Porter and Hayden were able to cheer each other on and were there to support each other. I loved that they were together every day. I think it meant a lot to both of them to have each other on the team. I have noticed that they have become even closer in the last few months. I love it.

After the dinner part of the banquet, they gave a certificate for each of the swimmers. The microphone wasn't working great, so Porter didn't hear them call his name and then he was embarrassed to just go up and get his certificate. I was feeling bad that this was the first sport that he's done, and he didn't even get to get recognized. Hayden went up and got his certificate, and he also got Porter's for him.

Later they did the awards. It was so exciting to hear that Hayden had once again earned the "Most Valuable Swimmer" award on the team. It was also nice to hear the things that the coach said about him. He is an all around good kid. Not only a great athlete, but just a nice boy. You've got to love hearing stuff like that. But I was again feeling a little bad for Porter that he was once again in Hayden's shadow.

But not for long.

The coach then announced that she would be giving a few additional awards. She started telling about a certain athlete that was always in the background of every picture, no matter who was in the picture. And not only was he in the background, but he was always flexing or kissing his biceps. As soon as she said that, I knew that my boy was getting an award.

And I was not disappointed. Check this baby out.
The certificate says, "In recognition of his manly muscles and self-awareness of his masculinity." The crowd was laughing so hard. I'm sure they were laughing even harder when they saw skinny little Porter trot up to the front. Oh, it was definitely one of my proudest moments. He doesn't need to win state to win my heart. He has so many talents, and one of them is definitely the ability to get a laugh! The team thought it was great fun, especially when we watched the team video and there was picture after picture with Porter in the background, kissing his biceps. Funny boy.

And a picture of my two handsome boys with their Coach. It was a great season. Can't wait for next fall!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those boys are soooooo cute! Good job guys!