Monday, February 16, 2009

The Oliver Family Band: Our Humble Beginnings

This has been my dream for a long time. To have all of my kids proficient on an instrument and be able to play songs together. Well, we have four out of six able to play well enough that we can play one song together. So here we are on our first attempt of "Boil 'em Cabbage Down." Hayden, Landon and Regan are on the fiddles, Dix and Porter on the guitars and me on the mandolin. Please don't laugh. This is a dream come true for me (and I feel really vulnerable putting this on here for everyone to see, but Grandma and Grandpa wanted to see it, so here it is!).

13 comments:

Janet said...

Regan sure takes it seriously! We loved ait and can't wait to have you perform for us live. We both just laughed at the end because it was so cute. I am glad that your dream is being fulfilled.

Kathy Habel said...

That is so awesome! Lots of lesson and dedication to get to that point! Great job.

Donna Shoop said...

That is soo cool! Cooper can be your dancer. :) Where was Turner?

Donna Shoop said...

ok, I saw Turner, had to watch it again..he was just soo quiet...

P Kirkwood said...

I was all alone in the living room watching this and I still had to clap for you guys. Great job.

Gillian said...

And Cooper plays the basketball...

Since when did you play the Mandolin? Another secret talent?

Unknown said...

Les - when did you get the mandolin? I love that instrument! Now I'm wishing we all knew how to play string instruments. Your family is so cool.

Stephanie said...

I think this is wonderful. It made my day! Keep it up.

The Woolf Pack said...

Who would laugh, that was awesome. In just a few years we are going to see you guys performing on stage! You are all amazing. Nice work.

Mahaffey Family said...

Bravo, bravo! Great job! I myself quit piano lessons as a youth, and can barely pluck something out with my right hand only, and therefore have put my kids in piano lessons. They have been doing really well, but are now wanting to quit themselves-they hate to practice! I want my dream of carols played on Christmas Eve by one of my children, but I'm not sure if they will stick it out! Congrats to you on fullfilling your dream-you guys were great, and what great memories you will have!

Mandy Miller said...

Leslie,
That was awesome! I wish my family was musical like yours. I am praying for your little men and hoping your life gets better I know your pain.

Dale Abersold said...

I've probably listened to it ten times and I love it. Yes Les, when did you learn to play the mandolin? Love Cooper's dancing. Landon looks a bit too relaxed. Keep it up and I'll join your band in a few months.

AB said...

How adorable are you guys? I'm quite jealous. Emma just started guitar 3 weeks ago, so we'll be there in....8 years?