Sunday, February 22, 2009

Happy Birthday Turner!

How do the years go so fast? Little Turner has had yet another birthday and is now 4! It was nice having his big day fall on a Saturday so we could have all the festivities on one day. Most of the extended family was sick, so we just had a small birthday with just the eight of us and Turner's friend Sophia. Porter's friend Steve showed up to play during it, so he joined us for awhile as well. It was very low key, which works a lot better for Turner. We just had a few gifts for him to open, and then he played for awhile, then we had cake.

The cake was actually rather spontaneous. He wanted a transformer cake, so I was just going to put some of his Transformer figures on the cake, but then the kids couldn't find the figures, so Turner decided he wanted a Pokemon cake. (Keep in mind this is about ten minutes before we were going to start his party) I had a round cake and was about to frost it and then put some Pokemon figures on it, when I had a brilliant idea to decorate it like a Poke-ball (sorry for the Pokemon jargon, you Pokemon moms out there know what I'm talking about). So I whipped out my red food coloring paste, made a nice shade of red and got to work. It turned out great--all the kids thought it was cute.

Grandma and Grandpa actually called from Germany right when we were getting ready to sing! So I put it on speaker phone and they got to sing to Turner, too!
Turner's favorite gift was a little sandbox with an excavator. He and Sophia played in it all afternoon. And it has a lid so it won't turn into the neighborhood litter box. He also got some sidewalk chalk and some bubbles so we spent most of the day outdoors.


Turner loved this card that he got from the Abersolds.

With all of the festivities, I forgot that Regan had a party to go to! Luckily my friend Donna knows of my ding-battedness and called to remind me. I ran Regan over and then ran a few errands. I decided that I really needed to get some exercise, so when it came time to pick her up, I loaded Cooper into the bike trailer and rode over there. It was a nice day and it was a nice ride. It only took me about 20 minutes. It was a much harder ride back though. Cooper is a little lightweight, but I can't say the same about his older sister! She's a tank! I definitely got a workout! Hayden was doing some yardwork for our neighbor, and finished up just after I left to pick Regan up. He chased after me, but because of my amazing speed, he didn't catch me until I got there. Okay, maybe he left fifteen minutes after I did and got there nearly at the same time. But the first story sounds better. It was a fun little ride. It made me excited for the summer!

We had the Stake Conference adult session last night, so after cleaning up the yard and the driveway (we had some car issues that we had been working on, so we had lots of stuff out!), we made it to the adult session of conference. It was nice and I especially enjoyed the "social hour" at the end. I love visiting with my friends.

Today was Stake Conference. We went to the 1:00 session. It was nice, although I felt like I was refereeing my kids most of the time. But we made it through most of it pretty well. We had a nice afternoon and had family home evening. Dix taught a lesson about the family all needing to be "in tune" with each other. If one of us is out of tune, it makes the instrument sound really bad. Then we played strawberry jam. The kids LOVED it. Cooper was pretty distraught through most of it. He didn't understand why we were all shoved under the bed or in a closet and why I kept trying to keep him quiet. Oh the joys.

And news about Turner: I guess no news is good news. We haven't heard back, yet the pediatric neurologist was supposed to have read his EEG on Wednesday morning. I'm thinking that it must have been normal or I would have heard something by now. I'll post when I do hear an answer. But for now, we're enjoying a few days of good health and happy hearts.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Happy birthday, Turner! That sandbox looks like a lot of fun. The cake is darling, but with two young girls I have no idea what a poke-ball is.

Kathy Habel said...

Wow 4 years how did that happen so fast?

Donna Shoop said...

Happy birthday Turner! Your cake turned out great, Keagan thought it was really cool! :) I love Sat. night conference!