Tuesday, August 19, 2008

So what's your choice?

I always like giving my kids choices instead of just telling them what to do. Of course I know what I WANT them to do, so their choices may be skewed so that they'll make the "right" choice. So here's a conversation between me and Turner this afternoon.

Me: Do you want to go play quietly in your room with all your toys? Or do you want a haircut?
T: I hate haircuts.
Me: Do you want to get a haircut? Or would you rather go play with your toys?
T: I don't wanna take a haircut.
Me: So would you like to play with your toys? Or do you want a haircut?
T: I don't like haircuts.
Me: Do you want to play in your room? Then you don't have to get a haircut.
T: I HATE haircuts.
Me: So do you want to go play with all your toys? Or should we go do a haircut?
T: I'll play wif my duplos. No, my cars.

Glad he didn't choose a haircut because I'm planning on doing a massive haircut day tomorrow for everyone in our house! Including Cooper's first big boy haircut! So stay tuned for pictures!

Here's another one we had earlier:
Me: Do you want jam or honey with your peanut butter?
T: Peanut butter.
Me: Do you want jam or honey with your peanut butter?
T: Jam
Me: You want peanut butter and jam?
T: No, I hate peanut butter.
Me: So peanut butter and jam?
T: Honey. Only honey. No peanut butter.
Me: So, peanut butter and honey?
T: Only honey. I hate peanut butter.
Me: (As I'm making peanut butter and honey sandwich) Here's a peanut butter and honey.
T: (Eating it voraciously) I hate peanut butter.

Aren't three year olds fun?

4 comments:

Donna Shoop said...

Thats too funny! I thought I was the only one to give my kids choices like that... the only thing is when they get a little older and they can figure it out and they offer another choice.

The Woolf Pack said...

That is great. I guess I can only look forward to amazing conversations with Mackenzie once she is 3! I will have to try out the choices idea. I'm not too good about giving them a choice.

Unknown said...

You must have read Love and Logic Les! That haircut conversation made me laugh out loud.

Michelle said...

I've had way to many of these kind of conversations than I probably should. That's hilarious!! I love it.