Saturday, August 13, 2011

'Tis the Season

For amphibians. We have found two HUGE toads in the last couple of weeks. The first one, actually, was given to us by our next door neighbor, who found it in their pool. Porter adopted it at once, named it Trevor, and created a habitat for it in his room.

This morning, as I was getting ready to go running, I noticed that it was raining out, so I checked with my running partner to see if she still wanted to go. She didn't, so I found myself with some extra time. I looked out the back door to see if it was still raining, and thought I saw a leaf floating in the pool. That was odd, because there are no trees anywhere close that would drop a big leaf like that one. Upon further investigation, I realized that it was not a leaf, it was a frog or toad in the pool!
I tried waking Porter up to help me catch it, but he wouldn't wake up, so I just left it for awhile, and ended up having an hour or so to myself without any kids! After the kids woke up, we went back out and looked for it, but couldn't find it anywhere.

Several hours later the kids decided to go swimming. We double checked for the toad again (Porter told us that it is a Sonoran Desert Toad), and since we didn't find it, the kids started swimming. After about twenty minutes, who should show up, but Mr Toad! Porter didn't want to touch it since it's skin is poisonous, so he was trying to catch it with a pool noodle. The kids thought it was fun, but slightly disgusting to swim around with a toad. We finally got him out and he is now hiding in our flower bush. Hopefully we will see him again someday.



1 comment:

Mahaffey Family said...

What an exciting back yard you have! Fun!