Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Concert Extravaganza

It's nights like these that will be a lot easier in a few years, when I don't have babies anymore. Hayden had an orchestra concert which was combined with the band, jazz band and several choirs from his school. It was an awesome concert and we really enjoyed it, but it was two hours long and I had all five of the other children with me. I'm exhausted! Dix worked (worked! yay!)with Kim Redding today, and then called me this afternoon to tell me that he is going to go to Reno with him to do another presentation there. I'm glad that he's working and all, but seriously, tonight?

Let's back up a little. I actually stayed up late last night and got my kitchen all cleaned up, and then got up early and got all ten loads of laundry folded and put away before I woke the other kids up at 7. By 9:15 four of the six were at school. I didn't have anything planned during the school day today, so I set up a play date with a couple of friends. They ended up staying and chatting while the kids played. It was a much needed break from the mundane things of life. I even managed to get all the socks folded while we visited! Then it was lunch and naps (I even caught a couple minutes of shut eye). I baked a batch of bread in my NEW OVEN! It turned out amazing! Then I made a batch of english toffee before I headed off with the little boys to my parent's house to teach two piano lessons, plus Regan's lesson. We hurried home, and at the very last moment I realized I had to pick Port up from wrestling! Then back home for dinner (sandwiches on my yummy bread) and then loaded up for the concert. Several kids in our ward participated in it, so it was the mutual night activity. Porter opted to sit with me and the kids rather than the mutual kids, so that was nice. I let Turner play Nintendo DS during the concert, Regan colored and Cooper did pretty well sitting on my lap. I drew faces on his hands to entertain him and I have to say, he did pretty darn well considering it was a two hour concert. A couple moved from behind me after muttering about me and giving me some dirty looks. I think they were offended that my children were a little wiggly and whispered often. But seriously, they were not bad at all! If I wasn't a temple recommend carrying kind of lady, I might have said something to them, but I held my head high and just smiled at their glares. :)

After the concert we headed to DQ for a quick treat. I was planning on going through the drive-thru, but Hayden could see several of his church friends inside, so he convinced me to go in. Now remember, it's after 9pm and I have four kids who are under ten with me, as well as my two teenagers. We did really well for the first five minutes, then Cooper started falling apart. I took the cue, and we headed home. Surprisingly enough, everyone fell asleep just as their heads hit the pillows. Ahhhh, silence. It sounds really nice right now.

Tomorrow is the last of the crazy days until after Christmas break. And even then it shouldn't be as bad because we won't have concerts and recitals again until the end of the year and swim lessons are over tomorrow. So it was a thumbs up kind of day, and even though I couldn't go running this morning, I definitely burned some calories!

1 comment:

Kathy Habel said...

Love it when they fall asleep when their heads hit the pillow. So looking forward to being able to sleep in for the next 2 weeks!