Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Tis the Season

for Report Cards. I have mixed feelings about report cards. I have two different types of children. There's the type that I ALWAYS expect straight As and excellent behavior marks, and, well, the other kind. This year, however, was different. My two children who have always gotten excellent marks, got excellent marks once again. My son that struggled in his earlier years, mostly with reading, but sometimes with behavior (he is an Oliver, after all!), not only got excellent marks, but he got the best grades in the entire family! He is now the top of his class in all subjects, but most notably, in reading! This boy is now reading NON-STOP! I'm so proud of each of them.

But last night, when Porter brought home his report card, I have to admit, I was a little bit apprehensive. I pulled it out, looked at it, and as usual, tears came to my eyes. But this time they weren't tears of empathy for this kid that has struggled in so many areas of his life. They were tears of pure joy! So let me share this 7th grade report card with you:

Science A- I enjoy having this student in class. Satisfactory performance at this time.
Soc St. A- You are cooperative. Uses class time well.
Orientation A- I enjoy having this student in class.
PE A I enjoy having this student in my class.
Adv. PreAlg B Consistently does good work. I enjoy having this student in class.
English B Keep up the good work!

This, for Porter, is HUGE! The comments are what makes it so amazing. "You are cooperative?" "Uses class time well?" "Consistently does good work?" Have to admit, I've never seen those on his report card before. So tickled!

I'm hoping that this is a positive change in more aspects of his life. He is doing homework without complaining, he is reading non-stop, he has joined the school wrestling team and is really, really enjoying it. He is learning to manage his disabilities, and hopefully with a little more experience and maturity he will be able to function completely normally! Go Porter!

On a sidenote, Dix hasn't gotten his report card yet. But I'm sure he'll do just as well as his children! I'm so proud of my family! They are the best!



5 comments:

AB said...

Sooo cool!!! You must be doing something right ;-)

Chanda said...

That is so very awesome about all of your kids. I will admit though that tears welled up in my eyes reading about Porter. That is so very awesome for him and you both. Keep up the good work Porter. You are awesome!

Kathy Habel said...

Hooray for Porter!

Unknown said...

I love it! Way to go!

Gillian said...

That's fantastic! Especially great to see now that he's heading into an extremely hard part of life (Jr High & HS).