Monday: We had a fairly quiet day. Regan and Cooper had their first day at chess club. Regan is one of the helpers, so she is enjoying that, and also earning service hours for NJHS. Carson also joined, so his dad picked them all up and brought them home. It was pretty nice to not have that extra run. Plus Turner got home before the other kids so it was nice having a little bit of quiet time with just him and then teenagers at home. We had WVYO that evening as usual. They are already working on their Christmas music, so we were all in good spirits after listening to that!
Tuesday: It was a muggy, wet, humid day here. So of course, it was the day I decided to make fruit leather. I actually started it on Monday, by essentially just making applesauce, then put it on trays to dry in the oven. Ordinarily it would only take a few hours. It took 20. Crazy. Guess I'll plan based on the weather next time. When you're accustomed to hot, dry weather 90% of the time, you forget to plan around the weather! It turned out delicious though and the kids think it's candy.
The little boys had Cub Scouts and the older kids had mutual, so it was a bit of a hectic evening, but nothing too bad. That night, after the little kids were in bed, Regan discovered that Cooper's lizard was dead. We have no idea what happened. Regan was absolutely devastated. She was sad about the lizard, but mostly she was sad thinking about how heartbroken Cooper was going to be when he found out. She spent a good hour or two crying about it. We were debating all evening how to proceed. Do we tell him the truth? Or do we attempt the ole switcheroo?
Wednesday: We ultimately decided to tell him, but we didn't want him to find out before school, so I tried to get him up and out of his bedroom (which is where the cage is) quickly so he wouldn't get suspicious. After he got home from school, and after Carson went home, we broke it to him. He was very sad. He recovered a lot more quickly than Regan had, however, and got to work making the gravestone and planning the funeral. It was the sweetest ever. He used a part of a brick that he found, and he painted it white. Regan helped him do most of the writing so that it would be neat, and spelled correctly (not sure exactly why they thought Regan was the best candidate for that haha). On one side it says, "Dust Devil, then in a heart, DD+C, Died on September 22, 2015." On the back it says, "I will never forget you. I love him!" A picture of Dusty, and then "I will live with him again." On the top of the brick it says RIP. So, so sweet. He is such a tender little guy. Cooper found a box to put Dusty in, then dug a hole out in the backyard. He gathered everyone together and asked us to come to his funeral. He asked everyone to say something nice about Dusty. Comments were "He was such an active little guy," or "I like the way he ate crickets," or "I like the way he never bit me." It was hilarious. But I had to hold it together and not laugh because this was a funeral for crying out loud. After we went around, he tenderly placed the casket in the hole, picked up his shovel and started to put the dirt back in. Porter suddenly started singing, very quietly, the National Anthem. Within a couple of measures the whole family had joined in and we were singing it in perfect harmony. If we hadn't been singing at a lizard's funeral, it would have been very lovely. But instead, I was holding in so hard, trying not to burst out laughing. I managed to hold it in for the song, and got into my room before I let it out. My goodness. My family is rad.
Also on Wednesday, Turner had his first flag football practice. I wanted to wring his neck because he kept burping the whole time. "But the other kids think it's funny!" Gah. Darn kid. But he loved his new team and loved playing football again.
Thursday: Turner had chess club after school again, then we were off to cello lessons. We were home by about 5:30 and didn't have anywhere else to go that evening, so we enjoyed a rare evening relaxing at home. It is cooling down a bit, so the kids spent a lot of time playing outside
Friday: I had a quiet day, I only had two daycare kids and they got picked up early! Regan had a birthday party to go to that evening. I decided to go to the temple, so Port hung out at home and made sure that everyone got where they needed to be. Landon and his gang of friends spent the evening hanging out, playing video games and eating ice cream. He sure has a great bunch of friends.
Saturday: Started early! I went running with my great friends Erin and Rachel, and got home just in time to take Regan to her cross country meet.
We decided to make use of our Wet and Wild Season passes one more time before they close for the season, and we spent the first weekend of fall at the waterpark! It is still over 100 consistently here, so it was a great day for it. There were fairly short lines, and Regan and Turner went on every slide! Cooper and I chickened out on one slide, but we did the rest. I can't believe how brave my kids are! We ran into some friends towards the end of our day, so Turner and Regan both had a friend to run around with for a bit.
We came home with just barely enough time to change and Regan and I headed off to the church for the women's broadcast of General Conference. We loved it! It was so inspiring. Spring conference is on Regan's birthday weekend and fall conference is on my birthday weekend, so we go out together to celebrate. It was my turn to choose the restaurant. We tried to go to Texas Roadhouse but the line was ridiculously long. We ended up going to Five Guys and had a great time. Regan told the server we were celebrating my birthday and she gave us a free shake! We went home stuffed and I pretty much just went right to bed. I had gotten up before 5 at least three times that week, and at 5 the rest of the days so I was wiped out. I closed my book at 8:30 and fell asleep! I slept for a full 12 hours, not waking until 8:30 on Sunday morning!
Sunday: Porter was the first one out the door, going to his friend Noah's mission farewell. Noah is heading out to Africa this week. I went to a Primary Program for another ward in our stake, but had to leave a bit early because it was also Brodie's mission farewell, and he was first on the program, so I had to boogie back so I wouldn't miss it! He did a great job on his talk, he's going to be a fantastic missionary. He's heading to the Denver Colorado South mission just after General Conference. That night was the big night sky event, the Super Moon, blood moon, total lunar eclipse. It was so great that it was happening here at about 7, so the kids could all see it. We took some totally awful pictures, looked at it through out binoculars, and said ooh and ahh over it. Regan and Landon had a fireside that evening. We got everyone to bed early because our weekend only made us more tired, not more relaxed like it's supposed to! (Except I couldn't fall asleep because of the abundant sleep I had gotten on Saturday night! Haha.)
A demonstration of my crappy photography skillz:






















No comments:
Post a Comment