Just as Dix backed out of the driveway for his new adventure, Hayden commented to me, "Well, now I'm the man of the house." It took me a while to gain my composure after a slight fit of hysterics, but once I did, I admitted that, yes, it looked as if he was now the "man" of the house. No, he doesn't get any special privileges, but yes, certainly some extra responsibilities.
Take for example, when Regan was vacuuming the stairs this afternoon and accidentally vacuumed up her shoelace. I ran in to find a smoking vacuum and a very upset little girl. I assured her that it would be okay, we have a man in our house to take care of us. I then called Hayden, handed him a screwdriver, and told him where the vacuum repair shop was. He looked a little overwhelmed, so I walked him through taking apart the vacuum, finding the broken belt, removing it, and even writing down the model number for him. I told him to call Grandpa for directions to the vacuum store. Well, lucky for Hayden, Grandpa also had to go to the vacuum store, so he drove him there and helped him locate the part (plus a couple of filters, while he was at it!). Then he passed it off to Porter who put the vacuum back together, so that Regan was finally able to continue her never ending chore of vacuuming the fir needles out of the entryway.
So glad I have a man in the house.
1 comment:
You are my role model mother. I wish I was as insightful, spur of the moment smart and talented as you!
Post a Comment