Saturday, May 30, 2009

Porter, the Amazingingly Talented Artist

Sometimes I wonder how Porter is my child (okay, I actually wonder that a lot).  He is so incredibly talented.  He has always loved to draw.  He went through a phase that he only drew airplanes.   Then dragons.  Then houses with rainbows and smiling sunshines--oh wait, that was me.  He is a very diverse artist.  A couple weeks ago at school, his teacher (who used to be an art teacher), while trying to get him to stop poking the kid next to him, taught him how to "illuminate" letters.  She gave him a quick tutorial, a ruler and a compass and he got to work.  He came home and showed me what he could do.  I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!   I thought that he was just coloring in some letters that someone had copied for him.  Seriously, they were that good.  So he whipped out his "tools" and did one for me.  He just asked me to name a letter and he got busy.  STUNNING!


Am I just being a doting mother, or are those dang good? Seriously, he just whipped it out from a blank piece of paper! When I told him that all I could ever draw was a house with a rainbow and a happy sun, he told me that drawing is just like playing an instrument. If you want to get good at it, you have to practice. Love it!

5 comments:

Gillian said...

Those are good! Maybe he'll be an illustrator when he grows up. :)

P Kirkwood said...

Awesome job, Porter!

Chanda said...

Those are great. Good job Porter! I can only dream of being able to draw like that.

Donna Shoop said...

That is really cool! Good job Porter!!!

Unknown said...

Okay...

1st: Porter is lucky to have that art teacher. Good thinking on her part.

2nd: Porter rocks at drawing!