Our Spring Break began today. Too bad it doesn't feel like spring anymore. It is really cold and really, really wet. In fact, our garage flooded on Friday. But that's for a whole other post! I had big plans this morning to take my kids to the park. When I was out walking bright and early with my mom, the sky was blue and it was beautiful (but freezing) out. But by the time we got our practicing and chores done, it had clouded up and started raining. So we spent the day at home. Our next door neighbor was over all day long. We had fun folding laundry and singing, "Follow the Prophet." Landon told me afterwards that he couldn't believe how much more fun laundry folding was when we were all working together and singing. I wonder what our neighbor's parents will do if he starts singing "Follow the Prophet" at home. :)
We got a new board game last week from our friends called "Key Largo." I decided to play it with the kids today. It took about a half hour to set up and read through the directions. It was a slow moving game which took some strategic thinking. Landon absolutely loved it. Regan enjoyed it, Turner just enjoyed cackling when he retrieved some buried treasure and sold it for cold, hard cash. Ole (the neighbor) had enough of the game after one turn and went and played with Cooper. It was actually really fun, so we played it again after dinner.
We watched "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution" on Saturday night and really enjoyed it. The kids wanted to watch the second episode today (we just watch it on the internet), but we wanted to do it as a family and we didn't have time when everyone was at home. But watching it on Saturday reminded me how important healthy eating is to me and it needs to be a priority, even when I'm busy. So I planned a meal this morning (the key!) and I made a yummy pot of chili for dinner. I started it with dry beans and I even had some grass fed beef to add (thanks Carolyn!). I decided to "veggie" it up a little, so I peeled and chopped a large sweet potato and added it to the chili. It was so delicious, and I felt good knowing that it was a little more healthy than usual! Along with all of our meals, my kids are required to take at least two vegetables. Tonights choices were: red pepper strips, baby carrots and sugar snap peas. I had a whole plate of them out starting about a half hour before dinner and they're all gone now. So we did pretty well at eating well today.
It looks like it may rain all day tomorrow, so our plans are flexible. The big boys have dentist appointments in the morning, then there is an entertainment program at the library for the younger kids. The older kids really want to go to Burfoot park, but that will be dependent on goodish weather. We're not asking for perfect. Just not torrential downpour. So we're hoping for the best!
2 comments:
We had rain here yesterday. It was our last day off until the end of May when school gets out. Enjoy the rest of your break.
Good for you on the eating veggies! You've always been impressive.
Post a Comment